The History of Hills Academy
History of Hills Academy: Foundation
While serving as educators in various educational institutes, Mr. and Mrs. Hilburn observed the academic disengagement and negative behaviors exhibited in many boys. They also recognized that there were only a few educational alternatives available for boys located in East Metro Atlanta. As a result, they established Hills Academy in the fall of 2016. Originally, Hills Academy provided academic support for homeschooled boys enrolled in Georgia Cyber Academy. During the second semester of the program, Mr. and Mrs. Hilburn recognized that their participants needed a hands-on curriculum which stimulated learning and promoted academic engagement. They immediately began investigating the possibilities of establishing a private school.
With the support and encouragement of parents, students, Mr. and Mrs. Hilburn established a nonprofit private school for boys in the fall of 2017. Currently, Mr. Hilburn serves as the Headmaster/Mathematics Instructor and Mrs. Hilburn is the Administrator/ELA teacher. Hills Academy has also employed two teachers and one teacher assistant. As a commitment to a high quality education, Hills Academy pursued state accreditation through the Georgia Accrediting Commission; and in December of 2017, Hills Academy was recommended for full accreditation.
History of Hills Academy: Establishment
Hills Academy was established in the Fall of 2016. Since then Hills Academy has been noticed in the community and referred to by community leaders, friends and family, not only as a non-profit, but as a driving force in the next generation of young men, helping exponentially in the decrease of young-aged, incarcerated black males.
History of Hills Academy: Mascot
The mascot of Hills Academy is the Knight. We believe that the Knight is the most noble and valuable part of the King's Army. At Hills Academy all of our knights possess 5 key characteristics:
- Courage - Deuteronomy 31:6 - "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- Faith - Hebrews 11:1 - "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."
- Integrity - Proverbs 11:3 - "The integrity of the upright guides them..."
- Leadership - Matthew 20:26 - "Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,"
- Service - 1 Peter 4:10 - "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms."